R&D Consumer Healthcare
Our Research & Development (Consumer Healthcare) career path suits graduates who want a career with real purpose – making consumer’s lives easier through our targeted science efforts across the globe.
What’s this area all about?
Our scientists look for new ideas and solutions to develop consumer products, improve those that are already on the market and make them accessible to the people who need them most, regardless of where they live. Together, we have a fantastic opportunity to deliver our vision of improving more people’s lives by creating and sustaining consumer-led, science-based innovation.
Our science – and the work you’ll do here in GSK – makes a difference to the lives of hundreds of millions of people around the world every day. Each year, approximately one billion people go online or visit pharmacies, supermarkets and market stalls and choose GSK Consumer Healthcare products first – both for themselves and for their loved ones. And they choose our products because we’ve worked hard to earn their trust. From pain relief to oral health, our products matter to consumers in more than 160 markets.
We want more people to benefit from our vision – by enhancing and protecting our existing brands or by developing new ones, supported by our colleagues in other functions. If we do this, we’ll help GSK Consumer Healthcare and GSK to become one of the most innovative, best performing and most trusted healthcare companies in the world.
What is this career path like?
On this three year long career path you’ll gain a broad understanding of our Research & Development function within the Consumer Healthcare business. It will offer you opportunities to take on real roles across Innovation, Technical Excellence, Regulatory & New Product Development (NPD) placements, as well as the breadth rotation outside of R&D.
In an NPD rotation, the exposure you will get will be across Over-the-Counter (OTC) and non-OTC with a focus on Packaging and Innovation. You can expect to work on exciting initiatives focused on introducing new products to benefit our end consumers, splitting your time between working in a laboratory environment as well as working with the commercial teams to make sure that we are communicating our innovations & scientific research in the right way.
In an aligned R&D function role, expect to work in areas such as technical excellence, regulatory or R&D operations. You will learn in depth about our processes & workflows, gain understanding around how we make decisions within the R&D function & how we maintain the high performance standards that we set for ourselves. You might have the experience of leading an end-to-end Regulatory approval process or learn about the life-cycle of our products in the packaging department. Our functional roles require strong analytical skills, an ability to work cross-functionally and a good understanding of the science behind our innovations.
In addition to R&D and NPD roles, you could also experience areas such as Quality, Supply Chain and Commercial which are vital to understanding how our business operates and how we get our top quality products from our laboratories, to our manufacturing operations and in the end to our consumers.
Throughout, you’ll have access to senior GSK Leaders and mentors, who will guide you and help you achieve your career objectives. You will also be part of a diverse, global network of graduates who are sharing similar daily experiences as you but in different parts of the world. These peer relationships are a fantastic opportunity to get exposure and inspiration beyond your home market and learn different approaches to doing your job.
What will I learn?
- You will gain in-depth and cross-sectional insights into the GSK Consumer Healthcare Research & Development function.
- You’ll manage projects, prioritise tasks and build relationships with people at all levels of the organization across the business.
- You will learn about the regulatory environment & how we work within it to make sure our products reach out consumers.
- You will learn about process improvement and how we make sure we are keeping pace with the ever-developing technologies.
What’s expected of me?
This is a challenging programme with a steep learning curve. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your skills and be inspired to achieve your ambitions.
On a practical level, we will look to you to manage projects and prioritise a series of tasks. You’ll source and analyse information and report your findings to help us understand trends and facts. We'll also need you to build strong working relationships with a wide range of people at all levels.
What do I need to succeed?
- You’ll need an analytical mind and a passion for using science to deliver to Consumer needs.
- An “enterprise & digital” mindset and approach to Innovation and the progression of the R&D function.
- Strong interpersonal skills - someone who can bring together our science, our people and our consumers.
- The courage and the ambition to take on real challenges in our business and be accountable for end-to-end projects.
- Strong self-awareness and a curiosity to learn.
- A proactive, enthusiastic approach to work.
- You’ll need to learn to be comfortable with a complex environment and making decisions in a matrixed organization.